Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Child

Child

You work at healing
For years

You dive in the swamp
Of your psyche
Turn over the mud
Tunnel through it
Breathe it
See lilies arise
From the much

The Beloved is a deer
Dainty hooves
In the swamp

At last you come
To bedrock

So you rest
Bedrock
You think

Until you notice
A chink in the rock
You look away
You avoid it

At last you look
It isn't going away

The Beloved is a bittern
In the reeds

Fluid leaks
From the chink

Foul black bilious
Acidic
Etching trails in the slanted rock
Again you look away
But not for long

You step forward
Touch the rock

I am present you say
Who is there?

The stream of foul black
Increases
Pours from a widening crack

Beloved is a tiger
Paw against the rock
You see the acid burning
Her paw
But she does not run
She stands guard

Who are you?
You whisper

The rock crumbles

There is a child

"Go away" says the child
Ancient

No you say
Beloved and I
Stay present

The black is swirling around you
It's hard to keep your footing
Beloved, an orca
Steadies you, swimming

No one stays says the child

We stay present you say

I was born
I loved
I was abandoned
When I was afraid

We are present now you say
Swimming by the Beloved
Hand on black fin

I was abandoned
When I grieved

We are here now you say

I was abandoned
In my despair

We are here you say

You say
You fought
out of love
You argued
out of love
You gave
out of love
Please child
Let us cradle you

The child is silent

The tide is slowing
Clearing
The rock has crumbled away

You will stay? says the child

We stay you say

Beloved is a whale
Singing in space
Singing to the stars

Am I lovable? says the child

You and Beloved
Earth and sky
Wind and trees
Moon and stars
Answer yes

Am I loved?

yes
yes


8/27/07

No comments: